The WWE franchise faces each year with the task of justifying its new version’s existence. In the case of this series, the key to success is an iterative development instead of an overhaul of its foundations.
WWE 2K17 has some of the best character customization, and its matches feel and run just like the real thing. However, it’s a shame that some features from previous games are just left out.
Let’s get into the game in detail.
The graphics in WWE 2K17 are top-notch. Wrestlers look photo realistic, and created characters don’t look like out of place. One of the best things in the game is how characters are displayed under different lighting conditions. Being able to see your custom CAWs and built-in Superstars rendered with shadows exposes how detailed they are.
However, there is an issue with the way interviews and in-ring promos are delivered silently, where your character wordlessly mouth the lines. Also, sometimes entrance music glitches out and won’t stop playing, even when you quit to the main menu.
WWE 2K17 strikes a better balance between realism and fun gameplay than the previous game in the series. Characters still get worn out much and flop about on the floor, but at least they get up at a reasonable pace.
There is also a cool rival system, which can extend over multiple pay-per-views. If you get caught in a heated rivalry, it can nicely escalate in intensity over a couple of months of the game’s calendar. Plus, the game offers an excellent character creator, which is always welcome.
The Showcase mode has served as the WWE single player over the past few years but was scrapped to concentrate on other areas. The company has tried to fill the core experience void with My Career and My Universe, which both require much time and effort. You have to create a wrestler and start honing your skills to succeed.
WWE 2K17 features a competent combat system where you have to initiate strikes and grapples through various button combinations. The strategy of each fight revolves around reversals, which simulates the back-and-forth structure of professional wrestling. The slow pace feels more suited to lumbering heavyweights and makes each attack feel like it hurts. The impact of a bodyslam as your opponent is thrown to the ground is vivid. And regardless of the punishment meted out, every wrestler seek to make maneuvers look spectacular.
WWE 2K17 also includes the “roll out” feature, which allows the player to roll out of the ring after a beating. Then, you have to wait a while before you can climb back into the ring. The waiting time can be reduced, but with the stamina unrestored you risk returning to the ring in a weak state.
For the most part, controls feel sloppy, though. Context sensitive are often misinterpreted, and when your opponent hits the ropes during a suplex or slam, both of you will be awkwardly repositioned.
Replay Value 5/5
WWE 2K17 will be fun to replay, especially if you are hardcore WWE fan and excited to see you created character to face the biggest names on the ring. My Career and My Universe modes are captivating and let you come close to the real deal.
WWE 2K17 has plenty of downloadable content to add more characters, new moves, enhancements, etc. Here is a full list of them:
- WWE 2K17 Season Pass — $29.99
- WWE 2K17 - Hall of Fame Showcase — $9.99
- WWE 2K17 - Accelerator — $4.99
- WWE 2K17 - Legends Pack — $8.99
- WWE 2K17 - New Moves Pack — $3.99
- WWE 2K17 - NXT Enhancement Pack — $9.99
- WWE 2K17 - Future Stars Pack — $8.99
- WWE 2K17 - MyPlayer Kick Start — $9.99
The game itself costs $49,99.
Overall, WWE 2K17 is a solid wrestling game, with an excellent balance between realistic wrestling and enjoyable gameplay. Universe mode is truly immersive, sending you against the biggest stars in WWE.
However, the poor porting to PC cannot go unrecognized, and it’s a shame that an otherwise perfectly enjoyable wrestling game is damaged by a lack of quality control.
- Graphics 4.5
- Gameplay 4.5
- Controls 4
- Replay Value 5
My Career keeps you busy for ages.
No Showcase mode.
- 1. All review text and other content are original. The copyright of all game, hardware and software reviews and images belong to our editorial team, copying without attribution is forbidden. Some of brand names, logos and screenshots are used in order of qualified relationships.
- 2. All the information on this website is strictly observed all the terms and conditions of Google Ads Advertising policies, Google Unwanted Software policy and Microsoft Advertising policies.
- 3. We provide the official download links to legal sources like official websites, Steam, PlayStation Store, Microsoft Market, Nintendo eShop, Google Play Store, Apple iTunes, GOG, Humble Bumble and other.
- 1. Is a video game;
- 2. Will not change any system settings on your console, PC or phone.
- One of the most trending games right now!
- Everyone enjoy playing this game
- Our team recommends this game to play. Very insistently
One of the best action games ever!
Did you like this review?
Nice! Please share this post on social media.
Please comment with your thoughts and recommendations on the «Contact us» page